Thursday 11 March 2010

Taking Time: Craft a Slow Revolution, Edinburgh


I was invited to a special event in Edinburgh on March 10th to view an exhibition on Craft and listen to a couple of speakers talking about their practises and the current exhibition taking place at the Dovecot Studios above. It was an event for all craft-makers who had received funding from several different Scottish funding boards over the past year. I received funding last year from CABN (Creative Arts and Business Network) to attend a fantastic conference in Holland run by the Surface Design Association http://www.surfacedesign.org/. It gave me the chance to meet several international surface designers as well as attend lectures, seminars and exhibitions all related to my field.


The exhibition itself Taking Time: Craft the Slow Revolution had a diverse range of work from textiles to digital, wood work to jewellery. My favourite has to be the ceramics (above) by Paul Scott and Ann Linneman, this one is named Tree in a Vegatable Patch. I'm always drawn to craft that I've never tried myself and I just love the saucers which can hold a piece of cake too!

No comments:

Post a Comment